Wednesday 10 August 2011

Practise Pouches

I've been experimenting with gift ideas that my classes can make in the run up to Christmas.

Pouches make great gifts, and can be made in various sizes and styles.


So far I've made 2 sizes, thinking that the smaller one would house a packet of tissues to keep in a handbag.  However, it's still a bit on the big side. I'm after a really snug fit so I will adjust the measurements and have another go.


My daughter has her eye on the larger one for her DS!  I thought it would make a great Kindle case or travel sewing pouch.

These pouches don't have zips, which makes them manageable for all ability levels.  

They can be decorated in a variety of ways (I sketched applique the hearts on, but they could easily be hand sewn on) and are multi-functional, which means you can tailor them to suit a particular use/person.


I also ran up a trivet with the off-cut ends from a Central Park (Kate Spain) Jelly Roll.


This trivet has heat resistant wadding inside (Insul Brite), which makes it perfect for taking a hot pan/dish on the table.  

I machine sewed the binding on, instead of hand sewing it over, which made it much quicker, but you definitely need accuracy and patience for this method to still look good from the back.

I've more ideas for dressing a table, but haven't had the time to develop them (I suppose if I just didn't sleep then I'd have another 8 hours to play with!).

Before I go, if any of you reading this are bloggers from Ireland (North or South) then you are most welcome to join this flickr group, share ideas and maybe even get involved in a quilting retreat next year! 



Hope you are having a great week, whatever you're up to!


7 comments:

  1. Love the trivet, its so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ideas J! Great you mentioned the Sew Irish Group, come on ladies (and any gents) the more the merrier! Fi

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute wee pouches! How do you manage to make so many?! You never just show us one ;-) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the handbag quote - it made me giggle! And that trivet is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabrics you are working with! Corduroy and those dots, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you must go to bed with your head buzzing full of ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that wee trivet! They all sound like great projects

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo