Wednesday 19 March 2014

Something New!

I'm not trained in dressmaking, but have always wanted to learn! 

I can do a few simple garments (e.g. skirts and pyjama bottoms) and have loads of patterns waiting to be tried out!

The Great British Sewing Bee (currently showing on BBC2) is inspiring me to have a go at something I haven't tried before.

So I downloaded a pattern for a simple top for my youngest daughter, made a muslin version to adjust the pattern & fit, and then went for it!

Simple Spring Top for Bethany

We have darts, a back zipper and facing on the inside of the collar.  I recycled the blue trim from a charity shop skirt!

Simple Spring Top for Bethany

Not a complicated make, but enough to give me the confidence to try another one, this time with short sleeves and perhaps a peter pan collar!

As a pattern writer, I take issue with the lack of detail and clear instructions in dressmaking patterns. This is what has put me off dressmaking in the past.  But I accept that the only way to get better at understanding the patterns is to build up my experience & techniques in dressmaking, so I just need to keep practising!

I know one happy customer who won't be complaining!

Bethany in her new top!
Jude xo

16 comments:

  1. J, I think you know, I have a little practice under my belt on the dressmaking front, so ask me if you want anything made clearer! I love to help ( read interfere, if you like)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous - the girl and the blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this top beautiful! I agree with Sarah the model is gorgeous!! Marei x

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay, how wonderful!!! Good for you giving it a go. Beautiful, both the blouse and your young lady. Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I admit that I too am finding myself inspired to try dressing making with this series of the Great British sewing bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! Look at that smile, Judith :) Good for you diving in and giving something new a try. You just may give me the nudge to give those PJ bottoms a go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done you! I am very impressed. You won't mind that I submitted your name for the next series of the show then. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the programme and your daughters top x well done .. Patrick not bad either xx lol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely top - there's some great free patterns around for trying things out. I'm largely self-taught (and still learning!) but I always find google very helpful!!!! Have fun with your next top :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and she has a great smile! It is not only dress making that has "horrible" instructions..... looks like I attract them as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Big box patterns are a nightmare for anything, but maybe you'd like the indie ones more in the meantime which have more details :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. a number of years ago I dabbled with dress making. I used to work on the principle that everything starts off as a basic T shape then is tweaked. I did try again recently but found it much more difficult. easier when I was straight up and down. Both the top and daughter are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo - steer clear of anything Burda, but I am sure you'd master those in record time too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks fantastic and you have a very happy customer there. I have been inspired too and got a dress pattern. Just need some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Judith, well done you!! Two beautiful makes (daughter and top!!) I'm just too chicken to attempt anything 3-D!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how cute!! Great job! :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo